As the title says, I’m glad to announce my first public Magento extension (not yet added in the Connect repository). During my 3 years experience with Magento, I’ve worked on a lot of custom extensions, improvements & fixes, but most of them were client-specific, plus they weren’t designed to have a backend interface (with a few exceptions). This one, however, is entirely configurable from the Admin and it’s both simple and effective.
What it does
CSS – 4 requests, 102 KB
With Magento’s default merging enabled:
CSS – 1 request, 108.2 KB (same for this one too, but again, nvm)
We’ve already saved 28 requests, which means less overhead – quicker download times for user, less stress on the server.
With the Minifier enabled:
CSS is 92 KB, which means almost 10% compression
- Faster loading times
- Less stress on the server and on bandwith
- Improving PageSpeed score with 4-8 points
- Checking 4 to-do’s from the Web Performance Best Practices Guide
- Have to rewrite of Mage_Core_Model file
- Have to override two Magento methods
- Additional processing time (insignificant in my opinion)
Download & Install
First, Download Minifier for Magento (31.03 kB), then unzip it and copy the app/ folder to your Magento root folder.
Go to your store frontend and behold, you’re now using compressed js’s and css’s.
Works on Magento 1.4+